Sunday 31 May 2015

Ride for Heart 2015


My major charitable fundraiser for the year is the Heart and Stroke Foundation’s annual Ride for Heart. This year it was held on Sunday, May 31, 2015.  The aspect of this event that I like the most is that its a rare opportunity for cyclists to take over the extremely busy downtown expressways - the Gardiner and DVP. (The only other event that opens those expressways to cyclists is the Toronto Triathlon Festival later that summer, so this is also a great chance for a pre-TTF training ride).  Riders can choose to ride 25km, 50km or 75km on the closed course.   



I signed up to ride the 75km route again this year, and due to my success with fundraising last year, I was asked to register as a VIP rider.  I did so, and set a fundraising goal of $1000, which I am happy to say I actually surpassed, due to the generous support of my friends, family, clients and teammates. Thanks to your donations, I’m currently at $1,025!! If you haven't done so yet, its not too late to contribute to the cause, donations are being accepted up to June 4th, through this link to my riders page:  

The weather was not as cooperative this year, however, the ride goes on rain or shine.  While the cool temps (9C), gusty NE 30kph winds and rain showers made riding a little tedious at times, all the riders were in great spirits for such a charitable event.  People of all ages and abilities were riding, in all types of bikes.  I saw everything from sweet triathlon racing bikes, to commuter bikes, tandem bikes, hand-cycles, recumbent bikes and even a unicycle. 

There were pit stops along the route at the DVP/York Mills exit, and the DVP/Bayview-Bloor exit where riders could stop to use port-a-potties, fix any tire issues, grab a snack and chat with other riders.  Overall, it took me about 3.5hrs to ride the 75km this year.  A little longer than I thought, but the winds were really gusty at several points and I did actually stop to talk to more riders along the route pit stops this year, and took a couple pics, which was nice to be a little more social, particularly at this type of charity ride. The cookies and becel-buttered corn we enjoyed at the finish line was also a nice touch.  


Needless to say I’m sure I’ll be riding for heart again in 2016, but hoping the weather will be a little warmer and drier.
And now its time to rest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment