Thursday 17 July 2014

Toronto Triathlon Festival - Part 2


On Sunday, July 13, it was finally my turn to race.  I participated in the sprint distance (750m swim, 20km bike, 5km run) category.  Unfortunately the weather turned sour and we had to race in cool, rainy conditions.  But spirits remained high despite the weather.  It was a festival after all, and its hard to keep a good athlete down when you maintain a positive attitude and stay focussed on your event.   

The swim took place in Lake Ontario starting on the pontoons near Ontario Place and the Molson Amphitheater.  A wetsuit was required as the water temp was only 16C.  The bike portion was unique as the organizers managed to close the EB Gardiner expressway for the race, and then we ran out from Ontario Place along Lakeshore Blvd and finished in Coronation Park at the expo grounds.  

I finished with a time of 1:29:27, placing 9th in my age group. I’m quite pleased with this performance as it was an improvement of 11sec over my best sprint race to date (Milton Triathlon, 2013). Race breakdown: Swim (16:29), T1 (3:30), Bike (42:55), T2 (1:29), Run (25:06). 



I saw improvements in both my swim and run times. However, I’m considering not running in my compression socks next race in order to save time in T1. We’ll see how my shins do next race accordingly. I felt I could have done a faster ride on my bike if the weather conditions were better.  On the last leg of the ride it began to pour rain and I had to slow down to stay in control.  At points it was so intense I had trouble keeping my eyes clear despite my sunglasses.  But other than that, I had no complaints.  I can’t control the weather.  
Overall, I had a fantastic weekend at the TTF, and I hope to do it all again next summer.  
Here are some pics of the event. Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment