Saturday 12 July 2014

Toronto Triathlon Festival - Part 1




This weekend I participated in the Toronto Triathlon Festival (TTF).  It was a 3 day event in the city that celebrated all aspects of the sport and the community, with activities for all levels of interest and ability, including amateur and elite races, fun runs, officiating courses, volunteer opportunities and sport expo in Coronation Park, right on the Waterfront.  

I spent Friday taking the Triathlon Officiating Level 1 course, which will enable me to officiate at the upcoming Pan-Am games and other elite level races in the future.  I brushed up on the technical aspects, official rules & regulations, but also considered the ‘fair & safe’ aspects that are so important in sport. 

Then on Saturday, I shadow-officiated the Pan-Am (ITU) qualifying race for the elite men and women.  It was a great opportunity to see behind the scenes how the race events are pulled off from the management and regulators side.  I met some fantastic people there as well.  I had a chance to chat with some of the up and coming athletes on the National Team, e.g. Leanna Lee from “Farther, Faster, Fitter”, as well as the chance to meet and chat with Olympic gold medallist Simon Whitfield.  

Tomorrow (Sunday) morning I’ll race in the amateur women’s sprint triathlon.  Feel free to come down to Coronation Park and cheer me (and all the other racers) on.  I’ll have Bib # 1938.  Here’s hoping the weather holds, and all the good luck and advice from Simon Whitfield help me out.


No comments:

Post a Comment