Monday 3 June 2019

Ride for Heart 2019


The inaugural start to my long outdoor cycling season coincides nicely with the Heart & Stroke Foundation’s annual Ride for Heart Campaign.  Its both a charitable and festive event that is the perfect way for me to pedal out my first 100K of the riding season.  And there’s no excuse to miss it.  My very generous friends, family and clients always donate to the cause, and I get a fully supported ride (water, snacks, port a potties) all along the Gardiner and DVP in Toronto, two very busy highways that normally never allow cyclists due to the danger of high speed traffic.  

The weather was a little touch and go with rain letting up as the morning went on, besides, the energy of the riders and volunteers all made up for any attitude which was impossible to dampen. Go riders go! 



I met lots of friendly riders of all differing abilities. Some families were out with children doing the 25km route, while others did 50-75km.  Myself, I started early enough so that I could sneak in the ‘accidental third loop’ of the DVP and pedal out 100km.  When such an opportunity presents itself its hard to say no.  Especially when it compliments my Ironman training so nicely, so close to home.   

It is hard to believe that it has been six years in a row (2014-2019) that I have been a VIP rider for the Ride for Heart.  Every year I fundraise over $1000 for the Heart and Stroke Foundation.  Giving back to my community is such a great feeling, and we all have been touched by heart disease or stroke in some way.  I want to thank everybody for their generous support this year, and the years past. Hopefully we can do it all again next year! 



No comments:

Post a Comment