Wednesday 29 June 2016

Welland Long Course


Sunday, June 26, 2016                http://www.multisportcanada.com/welland/ 

The day of my first long course triathlon (2km swim, 56km bike, 15km run) dawned hot and humid, as I knew it would.  Going into this course, I had been checking the weather forecast for Welland (the Rose City) on a daily basis, hoping the heat wave we had been enduring the past week would break early, but day after day it called for a forecast high of 32C, the humidex even higher.  
The prep period for many of my races usually begins about 36 hours in advance of the event, when I start my carb load, restrict alcohol consumption and protect my rest.  But this time I also began to proactively hydrate with not just water, but also electrolytes, in anticipation of the oppressively hot and humid racing conditions anticipated. 
  
I raced in Welland’s Rose City Triathlon last year, in the short course (750m, 30km, 7.5km), and I really enjoyed the canal swim.  However, this year there was a change in the course - a really exciting one. With the Pan-Am games celebration last year, Welland had the good fortune of hosting the canoe and kayak events, and along with that came the building of the brand new Welland International Flat water Centre (WIFC).  The WIFC offered great spectator facilities, and a nice entry and exit facility from the canal, including a short clear run up the grandstands into the transition zone.  


The water temp in the canal was a lovely 21C/71F, ideal for wetsuit swimming.  With the wide wharf entry into the canal which was build for the Pan-Am kayakers, triathletes had plenty of space for an in-water wave start instead of a narrow time trial start as in previous years.  A particularly unique feature I enjoyed on this swim course were the underwater ropes running the length of the canal which served as excellent guide lines (just like in the pool), so we could spend less time and energy sight spotting over the water surface, and more focussed on a natural swim stroke.  


After the 2km swim, I crawled out of the canal and ran into T1, ditching my wetsuit for my bike gear.  As I reached the mount line I accidentally spun the pedal backwards while pushing forward and popped my chain right off the shaft.  Frustrated to make such an error I just had to dive right into the greasy bike chain, refitting it and giving both hands a thick greasy coating which I soon spread all over my handle bars and white water bottles. Doh!  At least I was back moving forward again.  I had 56km of road to cover ahead.    

This was the first time I rode over 40km in an actual race, and it was the first time I really stayed in my aerobar position for an extended period.  I definitely felt my body working in a different way, as my back and hamstring muscles were more engaged during this cycling approach.  It will take some getting used to, and I definitely need to practice more in this position, but it was definitely exhilarating to ride the fast and flat course this way.   I found that I was still defaulting back to the lower handle bar grips whenever I needed to maneuver over tricky road sections, tighter turns or even to grab my water bottles, but I expect I’ll get more comfortable in my aerobar position as I get more road race experience.  Its not the same as when you practice on the trainer in the comfort of your condo - a much less dynamic environment.         

All things considered, I didn’t crash or flat, or get stopped dead in my tracks when a train passed through the course (which apparently happened to some other racers!), so it was a pretty good bike for me.  I didn’t have a particularly fast bike time (pacing 26.43km/h), but I knew going into this event that my strength laid ahead in the run. 


Fortunately my chain stayed in place during my dismount and after racking my bike in the second transition, and swapping my cleats for sneakers, I dashed out onto the fitness path that lined the canal for the final section of the race. Transitioning from cycling to running is never easy on the legs, but I knew I just had to focus and keep my feet moving forward, trusting my runners instinct would take over.  

The 15km run course consisted of 3x5km laps of the fitness path circling the canal.  At this point I was nearly 3 hours into the race (~11:30am) and it was getting hot.  We were running fully exposed under the sun and it was beginning to take its toll.  The race organizers were very cognizant of this and thankfully spaced three aid stations along the 5km loop, each with sponges, water, energy drinks and gels.
    
I have to admit, the first 5km were just awful.  Even though I doused myself with water and downed a gel pack at each station I felt like I was forcing each step. I was tired, hot and frustrated, but I never thought to give up. I had ten more kilometers to knock off. I had to dig in and work my way through it.  This was where the mental grit of the endurance training came into play for me.  And during this race, a few aspects of my mental grit were to be tested. 

At about the 7km mark on the course both my feet went numb. It came on very sudden and spread up almost all the way to my knees.  Its always an unnerving sensation, but one that I had experienced before.  I was tensing up on the run and needed to change my foot strike position to better facilitate proper circulation in my feet.  I wiggled my toes, widened my stride and relaxed my body, and sure enough ~2km later I had full sensation in my lower extremities again.  
I finished the second lap in a more natural running form and by the 10km mark had settled into a comfortable stride.  I was running more confidently and even picked up speed for the third and final lap.  As I ran passed one of the MSC race directors on the course I heard him shout out at me that I was running like a gazelle and to keep going strong.  Now that’s what every triathlete likes to hear on the final lap of a long course!  At the point where many others had broken down and decided to walk out the final few kilometers of the course, I finally felt I was running free and strong. The last 5km of the run course was the best section of the entire race for me.        



After four years of racing short course, I wasn’t sure how I would feel after my first long course, but I crossed the finish line strong, with a huge grin on my face. I loved it.  And to top it all off, I actually finished 6th placed in my age group.  That was a much better finish than the Guelph Lake short course I did the week before. How awesome is that?!

Race stats:
2km swim - 00:45:50
T1 - 2:24
56km bike - 02:07:08
T2 - 1:03
15km run - 01:22:37
Overall time - 4:17:59
Age category placement - 6th

I know there are still many aspects of my training I need to work on but I feel like I’m off to a great start on the more enduring long courses. I’m really looking forward to more of these longer distances in the future, including the Niagara Falls Barrelman this September, which will be my first half-ironman race (2km, 90km, 21.1km).  
Its safe to say I’m in this for the long haul! 

No comments:

Post a Comment